(On Display & In-Stock in Edmonton - Local Delivery Only) or
Buy Securely Online (Koala mattresses are not available for delivery outside of the Calgary & Edmonton areas)
The Koala mattress solves a whole host of unique challenges, and we couldn't be more proud of the result. When natural latex is manufactured, there is always a small percentage of finished latex that will have visual imperfections. While these visually imperfect cores are perfectly fine from a performance perspective, they are normally rejected.
Our belief was that perhaps we could apply the same approach of the "imperfect fruit and vegetable campaign." These "B-grade" visually imperfect latex cores are from Radium Foam BV in The Netherlands. The pricing is fantastic. An equivalent "A-grade" mattress would cost approximately $700-900 more.
These are perfect mattresses for children and sleepers up to 150 lbs. Because visually imperfect latex cores are uncommon and the imperfections are generally confined to small portions of an otherwise perfectly poured core, the finished mattresses are only available in twin size.
Made with the same ingredients found in all Berkeley Ergonomic mattresses, rest assured your child is sleeping on a mattress free of chemicals, flame retardants and PBDE's. We use 100% Plein-Air sheep's wool from France as an all-natural fire barrier, with the added benefit of exceptional breathability and temperature regulation.
Handcrafted one at a time, made from entirely European-sourced components and free of harmful materials. What's not to like?
Koala mattresses are produced in batches and are available while supplies last. Availability is entirely dependent on the number of visually imperfect cores available from Radium at any given time. The Mattress & Sleep Company will do our best to keep this page updated with the most accurate availability details.
- Layers from top to bottom:
- 100% Organic Cotton outer fabric
- 100% Plein-Air French wool quilted to inside of outer fabric
- Plein-Air - These sheep live outdoors year-round
- Produces a more curly, longer fibre
- Superior to mechanically crimped wool, does not matte down as easily
- 6" 100% Natural Talalay latex core
- Visually imperfect "b-grade" latex core
- Motion free gentle support
- Durable and consistent over time
- Free from synthetics and fillers
- Manufactured by Radium Foam BV in The Netherlands
- Zero synthetic flame retardants
- Made in California, USA
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
Koala mattresses are periodically available, as supply dictates. Stocked in Calgary & Edmonton from approximately end of August 2018, while supplies last. Full in-home placement and setup are complimentary in the Calgary and Edmonton areas.
Due to the nature of how Koala mattresses are made, we regret to inform that this mattress is not available for delivery outside of the Calgary & Edmonton areas.
|Kangaroo Mattress Height||6 ½"||16.5 cm|
|Standard Foundation Heights||2 ½" 1 | 4" | 7" | 8 ½" 2||6 1 | 10 | 18 | 21.5 cm 2|
|Suspension Foundation Heights||2 ⅜" 1 | 4" | 6 ½" | 8 ½" 2||6 1 | 10 | 16.5 | 21.5 cm 2|
1 - 6 cm ultra low profile slat options are designed for platform style beds which do not normally accommodate a standard box spring or foundation.
2 - 8 ½" / 21.5 cm foundations may incur a surcharge. Call 1-877-750-1212 or visit for more details.
If ordering online, rest assured The Mattress & Sleep Co. will follow up with you to select your foundation height.
About Vita Talalay
Berkeley Ergonomics feature Vita Talalay, made by Radium Foam BV in The Netherlands. This pair of videos demonstrate the superiority of Vita Talalay compared to other foam types, including other latex varieties.
Berkeley Ergonomics Certificates
- Radium Vita Talalay latex (the type of latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and pillows) is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified
- C2C certification is a review of the following areas:
- Material Health (Knowing the chemical ingredients of every material in a product, and optimizing towards safer materials - identify material as organic or synthetic)
- Material Re-utilization (Designing products made with materials that come from and can safely return to nature or industry)
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management (Envisioning a future in which all manufacturing is powered by 100% clean renewable energy)
- Water Stewardship (Manage clean water as a precious resource and an essential human right)
- Social Fairness (Design operations to honour all people and natural systems affected by the creation, use, disposal or reuse of a product)
- More Information
- Certificate Link
- Latex (ECO Institut)
- Latex (Rainforest Alliance)
- All textile components are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified
- Cotton knit: 93.0.3463
- French Wool: 95.0.2251
- Backing materials: 94.0.7467
- Vita Talalay latex: 30007 - Class I, safe for babies (most competing Talalay is Class II or IV)
- Polypropylene spring fabric(s): 64930, 10.0.77270 & 10.0.81778
- Belgian visco (Eucavisco® is used in our London & Monaco mattress models only): 0110048
- CertiPUR-US (Eucavisco® is used in our London & Monaco mattress models only)
We recommend a sturdy, well-ventilated slat foundation for all mattresses. Berkeley Ergonomics offer three choices. The highest performing foundation is the Berkeley Ergonomics suspension foundation.
Suspension foundations are superior to rigid bases as they absorb energy, reducing pressure points while also providing for greatly improved ergonomic alignment and support. They'll even extend the life of your mattress.
Berkeley also offer a 2 ⅜" slat frame which will fit in most platform beds, allowing you to benefit from the suspension slats and their enhanced ergonomics when a platform bed would not normally fit a box spring.
All Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses are 100% compatible with electric adjustable beds.
All wood used in these three foundations comes from sustainable PEFC and FSC certified sources in Canada and Germany.
We Recommend Formesse Fitted Sheets
The highest performing fitted sheet for your Berkeley Ergonomics mattress is a Formesse Bella Donna fitted sheet. Your BE mattress features a knit organic cotton fabric outer covering, which is very stretchy and elastic. Typical sheets are woven (ie: sateen or percale), which can result in excess surface tension. Formesse sheets, Made in Germany, are different. They are stretch-knit, just like the Berkeley mattress fabric. This combination results in the most elastic, highest performing sleep surface possible today.
Knit fabrics are also more breathable than woven fabrics, which results in better temperature and humidity regulation.