Availability: In-Store Only (On Display in Edmonton)
Obasan Essential Foundations are hand crafted with the finest Quebec FSC certified wood. They are padded with layers of organic wool and then your choice of an organic knit or organic velour cotton outer fabric. They are available in 4” and 7” heights and must be installed in an existing bed frame or directly on the floor.
2" firm wood slats support your Obasan mattress across its length and width and provide maximum breathability and support. All Essential Foundations are built using nails as opposed to glue which provides a healthy sleep environment.
- Choice of fabrics:
- Organic Knit Cotton
- Organic Velour Cotton
- FSC certified wood
- Organic wool padding wrapped around wood frame in key locations
- 2" firm wood slats to support even the heaviest mattresses
- Choice of height:
- 4" | 10 cm
- 7" | 17.5 cm
- Made in Ottawa, Canada
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
This item is made to order. Please allow approximately 3-5 weeks for delivery. Full in-home placement and setup are included at no extra charge in the Calgary and Edmonton areas.
Please note that Obasan adult mattresses & foundations are not available for purchase online.
The Obasan Fundy 1.0 mattress is available for purchase online and includes free courier delivery to most locations across Canada. There is a $125 freight fee if a box spring is ordered with the mattress.
Obasan Certificates & Testing
- Latex (GOLS)
- Latex - General Overview from Arpico (Obasan's latex supplier)
- Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 - Class 1
- LGA - Landesgewerbeanstalt Bayern (evaluates the durability and resilience characteristics of the natural latex. Score: 99/100
- ABC Labs USA (evaluates the antibacterial efficacy of the natural latex)
- Stork - Twin City Corp., USA (evaluates the body interface pressure of the natural latex)
- Cotton (GOTS)
- Wool (GOTS)
Your sleep system is covered by Obasan's 10 warranty. The adult mattress range features an additional 10 years of pro-rated coverage for 20 years total. The Mattress & Sleep Company will act on your behalf in the event of any potential warranty claim.
Flip and rotate mattress twice per year. Place the mattress on a sturdy, breathable foundation made of rigid slats no more than 2 ½" apart, or on a genuine European suspension slat system such as the Berkeley Ergonomics Suspension Foundation. Always use a protective mattress cover made of breathable materials.
Customization & Assembly
Many of our mattresses require some basic assembly when they arrive to you. If we're delivering locally where we have a showroom, this work is performed by our delivery teams. If we're sending elsewhere, this assembly process is something you'll want to be prepared for, although the actual process of assembly is very straight forward.
There are six significant benefits to having a mattress which is delivered in smaller pieces:
- Instead of moving a large, awkward mattress in one giant piece weighing as much as 300 lbs, instead the mattress arrives in a few boxes which are much smaller and easy to handle.
- The mattress will easily find it's way up tight staircases. We often deliver king mattresses into spaces where a regular king simply wouldn't fit.
- Many of our mattress models may be customized with different firmness options for each sleeping partner. By having a mattress made with separate components, we're able to tweak the comfort to a very precise degree of success.
- If your comfort or support needs change in the future, you can either re-arrange the components already in your mattress, or we can replace them with different components offering different comfort and support characteristics.
- Thorough maintenance: Only by accessing the inner support layers of the mattress and flipping these layers can we truly maintain the mattress correctly over many years. Rotating a traditional mattress merely helps the top comfort layers settle more evenly, where-as flipping the support layers actually revitalizes the entire mattress.
- Individual layers may be replaced should they prematurely wear out before other mattress components. Also, no more guessing about where the wear and tear are taking place in your mattress. By taking the mattress apart, we can isolate the problematic component to easily solve common mattress wear issues.
Foundations / Boxsprings
We recommend the matching Obasan foundation or an electric adjustable bed. Use of an existing box spring is not recommended, although we are happy to provide advice on the suitability of any existing box spring.
Use With a Platform Bed
It is absolutely fine to place a Obasan mattress on a platform bed without a box spring so long as:
- The platform is slatted, with firm slats, placed no more than 2 ½" apart
- If the slats are bowed or curved, we recommend having a conversation before proceeding. Sometimes these slats will work, sometimes they won't
- The platform cannot have a solid deck, as the mattress needs to breathe
To learn more about choosing the right box spring or platform bed support, please read our Platform Bed & Boxspring Guide.
The Sleep Sound Guarantee®
You can sleep soundly knowing that every product purchased from The Mattress & Sleep Company is brand new and has never been used or slept on. Mattresses, bedding and towels are personal use items and we believe you deserve to be assured these products are new.