Availability: In-Store Only (On Display in Calgary & Edmonton)
Obasan's 8" Essential mattress delivers an ideal sleep experience especially for slim side sleepers and back and stomach sleepers. The 8" Essential mattress is a beautifully handcrafted mattress that incorporates the highest quality, breathable, 100% certified organic materials. It provides an incredibly comfortable, dry, cool sleep for one or two sleep partners, based on individual tailoring for individual sleepers.
The Obasan Adjustable Core System provides highly flexible support layers. Cores can be purchased separately, which ensures the mattress can be altered at any given time. The 8" Essential mattress is available with a soft, medium or firm middle layer. Queen and king mattresses feature a middle layer which is split, allowing each individual sleeper to choose their own firmness.
The 8" Essential mattress is Obasan's firmest adult mattress and includes a built-in topper which provides body contouring and pressure relief. It also comes with a removable cover that can be easily spot cleaned and aired-out. Obasan does not use harmful, fire retardant chemicals. Instead, Obasan use organic wool that is quilted into the cover and which is an all-natural fire barrier.
The 8" Essential mattress is an excellent choice for parents as a one-time investment in their child’s sleep. Out-of-town guests will sleep well on an 8" Essential mattress in your guest room.
8″ Mattress support – Recommended maximum weight per sleeper of 225lbs.
Choose the Obasan designer package and transform your mattress into a spectacular bedroom design feature.
- Cover details:
- 100% organic cotton knit top & sides (sleeping surface)
- 100% organic cotton canvas bottom
- 100% certified organic sheep's wool from Argentina, quilted to outer covering, on all sides
- Wool acts as a natural fire barrier without use of potentially risky alternatives
- Cover is removable to allow turning and rotating of individual rubber layers
- 8" total of organic rubber tree latex, consisting of three layers:
- 2" organic rubber tree latex topper in soft
- 3" organic rubber tree latex middle layer
- Choice of soft, medium or firm for each sleeper (queen and king beds only)
- 3" organic rubber tree latex base layer in firm
- Zero styrene-butadiene (synthetic latex) content
- Extremely durable, flexible and resilient
- Naturally antibacterial, antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, mould and dust mite resistant
- Available as a mattress only, with a matching foundation and also compatible with an electric adjustable bed
- Total mattress height of approximately 9" | 23 cm
- Made in Ottawa, Canada
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
This item is made to order. Please allow approximately 3-5 weeks for delivery. Full in-home placement and setup are included at no extra charge in the Calgary and Edmonton areas.
Please note that Obasan adult mattresses & foundations are not available for purchase online.
The Obasan Fundy 1.0 mattress is available for purchase online and includes free courier delivery to most locations across Canada. There is a $125 freight fee if a box spring is ordered with the mattress.
Obasan Certificates & Testing
- Latex (GOLS)
- Latex - General Overview from Arpico (Obasan's latex supplier)
- Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 - Class 1
- LGA - Landesgewerbeanstalt Bayern (evaluates the durability and resilience characteristics of the natural latex. Score: 99/100
- ABC Labs USA (evaluates the antibacterial efficacy of the natural latex)
- Stork - Twin City Corp., USA (evaluates the body interface pressure of the natural latex)
- Cotton (GOTS)
- Wool (GOTS)
Your sleep system is covered by Obasan's 10 warranty. The adult mattress range features an additional 10 years of pro-rated coverage for 20 years total. The Mattress & Sleep Company will act on your behalf in the event of any potential warranty claim.
Turn and rotate mattress twice per year. Place the mattress on a sturdy, breathable foundation made of rigid slats no more than 2 ½" apart, or on a genuine European suspension slat system such as the Berkeley Ergonomics Suspension Foundation. Always use a protective mattress cover made of breathable materials.
Customization & Assembly
Many of our mattresses require some basic assembly when they arrive to you. If we're delivering locally where we have a showroom, this work is performed by our delivery teams. If we're sending elsewhere, this assembly process is something you'll want to be prepared for, although the actual process of assembly is very straight forward.
There are six significant benefits to having a mattress which is delivered in smaller pieces:
- Instead of moving a large, awkward mattress in one giant piece weighing as much as 300 lbs, instead the mattress arrives in a few boxes which are much smaller and easy to handle.
- The mattress will easily find it's way up tight staircases. We often deliver king mattresses into spaces where a regular king simply wouldn't fit.
- Many of our mattress models may be customized with different firmness options for each sleeping partner. By having a mattress made with separate components, we're able to tweak the comfort to a very precise degree of success.
- If your comfort or support needs change in the future, you can either re-arrange the components already in your mattress, or we can replace them with different components offering different comfort and support characteristics.
- Thorough maintenance: Only by accessing the inner support layers of the mattress and flipping these layers can we truly maintain the mattress correctly over many years. Rotating a traditional mattress merely helps the top comfort layers settle more evenly, where-as flipping the support layers actually revitalizes the entire mattress.
- Individual layers may be replaced should they prematurely wear out before other mattress components. Also, no more guessing about where the wear and tear are taking place in your mattress. By taking the mattress apart, we can isolate the problematic component to easily solve common mattress wear issues.
Foundations / Boxsprings
We recommend the matching Obasan foundation or an electric adjustable bed. Use of an existing box spring is not recommended, although we are happy to provide advice on the suitability of any existing box spring.
Use With a Platform Bed
It is absolutely fine to place a Obasan mattress on a platform bed without a box spring so long as:
- The platform is slatted, with firm slats, placed no more than 2 ½" apart
- If the slats are bowed or curved, we recommend having a conversation before proceeding. Sometimes these slats will work, sometimes they won't
- The platform cannot have a solid deck, as the mattress needs to breathe
To learn more about choosing the right box spring or platform bed support, please read our Platform Bed & Boxspring Guide.
The Sleep Sound Guarantee®
You can sleep soundly knowing that every product purchased from The Mattress & Sleep Company is brand new and has never been used or slept on. Mattresses, bedding and towels are personal use items and we believe you deserve to be assured these products are new.