Availability: In-Store (On Display in Calgary & Edmonton)
Crafted from the same Plein-Air French sheep's wool, organic cotton and natural Talalay latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses. Filled with 500 grams of wool per square metre, the organic pillow top will breathe and regulate temperature and humidity exceptionally well.
Featuring a unique European Posture Flo pocket spring system in excess of 2,200 springs in king size, this mattress topper is truly unique.
Many consumers have had negative experiences with expensive pillow top mattresses that sag well before expected. Those mattresses use poor quality polyurethane foam, effectively degrading the durability of the mattress. Our pillow top features durable 100% natural Talalay latex cushioning that wears well over time and independently from your mattress.
Our pillow tops are independent of the mattress. This allows the topper to be added to your mattress after purchase should you want additional softness and pressure relief. It can be removed if you want to change the feel and since the Talalay latex cushioning wears independently of your mattress, it can be replaced separately at any time.
Not sure which organic pillow top to choose? This is our favourite topper from any brand. Extremely luxurious, substantial and exceptionally well-made. If you're looking for the most comfort and pressure relief possible, this is the topper for you.
Pillow Top Details
- Layers from top to bottom:
- 100% Organic Cotton outer fabric
- 100% Plein-Air French wool quilted to inside of outer fabric
- Plein-Air - These sheep live outdoors year-round
- Produces a more curly, longer fibre
- Superior to mechanically crimped wool, does not matte down as easily
- 1 ¼" of Super Soft 100% Natural Talalay latex
- 1" European Posture Flo pocket coils utilizing titanium alloy wire
- Over 2,200 springs in king size
- Zippered, removable outer cover
- Free of harmful chemicals - no flame retardant, formaldehyde, or PBDE's
- Made in California, USA
Why and when to add a topper
A high quality topper is the perfect addition to an existing mattress which is in good condition and still provides adequate support. Toppers are designed to enhance comfort and pressure relief.
Toppers are also commonly added to a brand new mattress. A luxury mattress topper crafted from natural materials can improve even the very best mattresses. Adding a topper to a new mattress will also extend the life of the mattress, as the topper will take a good portion of the wear and tear.
It is important to remember that a topper will not improve the support of a worn out mattress, nor will they eliminate sagging issues. In fact, placing a topper on a sagging mattress is not something we recommend - you'll just make the sagging that much more noticeable. If you find yourself in this situation it is best to consider a new mattress.
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
Typically stocked in Calgary & Edmonton in queen and king size. When sold out or for other sizes please allow approximately 3-5 weeks for delivery. Shipping and handing are included at no extra cost to most locations across Canada.
Berkeley Ergonomics Certificates
- Radium Vita Talalay latex (the type of latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and pillows) is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified
- C2C certification is a review of the following areas:
- Material Health (Knowing the chemical ingredients of every material in a product, and optimizing towards safer materials - identify material as organic or synthetic)
- Material Re-utilization (Designing products made with materials that come from and can safely return to nature or industry)
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management (Envisioning a future in which all manufacturing is powered by 100% clean renewable energy)
- Water Stewardship (Manage clean water as a precious resource and an essential human right)
- Social Fairness (Design operations to honour all people and natural systems affected by the creation, use, disposal or reuse of a product)
- More Information
- Certificate Link
- Latex (ECO Institut)
- Latex (Rainforest Alliance)
- All textile components are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified
- Cotton knit: 93.0.3463
- French Wool: 95.0.2251
- Backing materials: 94.0.7467
- Vita Talalay latex: 30007 - Class I, safe for babies (most competing Talalay is Class II or IV)
- Polypropylene spring fabric(s): 64930, 10.0.77270 & 10.0.81778
- Belgian visco (Eucavisco®): 0110048
- CertiPUR-US (Eucavisco®)
We recommend a sturdy, well-ventilated slat foundation for all mattresses. Berkeley Ergonomics offer three choices. The best bases are active suspensions (such as the Berkeley Suspension, or Green Sleep and Vispring bases).
Suspension foundations are superior to rigid bases as they absorb energy, reducing pressure points while also providing for greatly improved ergonomic alignment and support.
Berkeley also offer a 2 ⅜" slat frame which will fit in most platform beds, allowing you to benefit from the suspension slats and their enhanced ergonomics when a platform bed would not normally fit a box spring.
For those looking to have an electric adjustable bed without sacrificing air circulation or support,
All wood used in these three foundations comes from sustainable PEFC and FSC certified sources in Canada and Germany.
About Vita Talalay
Berkeley Ergonomics feature Vita Talalay, made by Radium Foam BV in The Netherlands. This pair of videos demonstrate just how superior Vita Talalay is when compared to other foam types, including other latex varieties.
We Recommend Formesse Fitted Sheets
The highest performing fitted sheet for your Berkeley Ergonomics mattress is a Formesse Bella Donna fitted sheet. Your BE mattress features a knit organic cotton fabric outer covering, which is very stretchy and elastic. Typical sheets are woven (ie: sateen or percale), which can result in excess surface tension. Formesse sheets, Made in Germany, are different. They are stretch-knit, just like the Berkeley mattress fabric. This combination results in the most elastic, highest performing sleep surface possible today.
Knit fabrics are also more breathable than woven fabrics, which results in better temperature and humidity regulation.
Rotate the mattress once or twice per year. Always use a protective mattress cover made of breathable natural materials. Ensure the mattress is supported by an adequate foundation which is slatted and breathable. The matching Berkeley foundations are recommended!
The Sleep Sound Guarantee®
You can sleep soundly knowing that every product purchased from The Mattress & Sleep Company is brand new and has never been used or slept on. Mattresses, bedding and towels are personal use items and we believe you deserve to be assured these products are new.