Returns, Refunds & Deposits
The Mattress & Sleep Company understands that sometimes returning a product is necessary. As we offer a wide variety of product types please take a moment to review the applicable sections below.
Bedding & Regular Stock Merchandise
We will accept a return and provide a full refund on any bedding item or standard merchandise, provided that the following criteria are met:
- The item must be regularly stocked
- The item must be unopened and unused in any way
To determine if an item is regularly stocked please read the "Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability" section on any product page on this website. This section will make mention of which sizes or configurations of a particular product are regularly stocked.
As many of our items are considered personal use products, we feel we have a moral and ethical responsibility to not re-sell used pillows, bedding or mattresses and as such we cannot accept returns in the event these types of items are returned in anything other than an unopened, brand new condition. With this policy in place we are able to guarantee the item we're delivering to you is brand new.
Return Shipping Fees
You are responsible for return shipping fees, unless the reason for the return is at a result of an error made by us.
Custom & Special Orders
We do not accept returns or cancellations on any custom or special orders. The exception is any return due to a manufacturer’s defect that has been approved by the warranty process.
Examples of custom or special orders include (but are not limited to): items which are not regularly stocked, all Abyss & Habidecor, all Celso de Lemos, all Copeland Furniture, some Natura, most St Geneve, all TEAM 7 and all Wesley Allen.
The Mattress & Sleep Company is proud to say that we do not sell used mattresses. For this reason, we are unable to accept returns on any used mattress unless of course the reason for return falls under the manufacturer's warranty for manufacturing defects.
Read our excellent in-depth article entitled Would you buy a used mattress? In this article we cover many different fascinating points about comfort trials and how standard mattress stores are selling used mattresses on a regular basis.
Why we decided to stop accepting returns on used mattresses.
- Our customers have told us they do not want to buy a used mattress.
- Allergies, chemicals and environmental sensitivities. A used mattress runs the risk of causing significant complications for individuals suffering from one or more of these surprisingly prevalent health issues.
- Bed bugs are becoming common place. Eradicating them is tremendously stressful and expensive.
- Dust mites, skin cells, hair, and much more that we shall not even mention.
- From 2007 until 2013 we exchanged exactly 18 mattresses for comfort reasons; a little more than 2 per year. When you consider that we sell mattresses not only in store, but online across North America, this exchange rate is nothing short of incredible.
- Of the various mattresses we have exchanged over the years, approximately half are from brands we no longer work with.
- All mattress stores charge (at minimum) for the cost of delivery of the new mattress and return of the old mattress. These costs are usually $100 to $300 and do not include potential restocking fees. Some mattress stores also charge a restocking fee, and limit your new selection to a mattress of equal or greater price, and may not honour sale prices. Since a new comfort layer in our custom beds is only $135 to $350, we feel you’re receiving better value-for-money as you’re spending about the same amount, plus you’re keeping the "old" product. Not to mention far less hassle than having to wait for a delivery service, and the significant disruption that accompanies the mattress delivery process.
Replacement components are available for all customizable Green Sleep and Sleeptek models. This programme is in place to allow for changes to be made to the comfort and support of your mattress at any time during ownership.
Replacement layers ordered up to 365 days from the original purchase date are available at a heavily subsidized rate. Please contact 1-877-750-1212 for pricing.
Replacement layers ordered after this trial period are available at market rates. Please call us Toll-Free on 1-877-750-1212 to order.
This is not an exchange process. You will keep all components of the mattress including the original layers and any replacement layers. This program is how we're able to assure our customers that the mattress we're delivering to you is indeed brand new.
How Refunds are Processed
If your return qualifies for a refund, the credit is applied to your original purchasing debit, credit or gift card. If this is not possible a cheque will be issued. We do not refund Cash.
Refunds are credited on a best effort basis and will be processed as quickly as possible.
Deposits are fully refundable so long as your order has not been put into production by the manufacturer. If already in production your order may be subject to cancellation fees, which vary depending on the brand of product purchased.
If you've purchased from us in-store feel free to skip the steps below and simply pop in the store. One of our team members will be glad to help.
Step 1: Obtain an RA number. Please fill out This Form, and ensure you include the following information:
- Invoice number or customer name
- Item(s) you need to return
- Reason(s) for return
Step 2: Package your return(s) in a suitable carton (preferably the same carton you received them in). Be sure to write the RA number on the outside of the carton. Take your package to your preferred shipper (Canada Post or UPS for example) and ship the item to:
The Mattress & Sleep Company
10340 34 Ave NW
Edmonton, AB T6J 7A2
Consider purchasing insurance. We are not responsible if your package is lost or damaged during transit.
Step 3: Upon receipt of your package we will inspect it carefully. Should the item(s) be returned in satisfactory condition your refund or credit (whichever is applicable) will be applied as soon as possible. You will receive an email containing the results of the return process.
Please, do not return any packages without obtaining an RA#. This is for your protection as the Return Authorization process creates a digital paper trail formally recognizing your desire to make a return.