Payment & Tax Collection
This page talks about our payment and tax collection requirements.
The Mattress & Sleep Company is required by the Government of Canada to collect the following taxes:
- Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories & Nunavut: 5% GST
- Nova Scotia: 15% HST
- Ontario, New Brunswick & Newfoundland: 13% HST
- Prince Edward Island: 14% HST
- Quebec: 5% GST and 9.975% QST (Effective September 1, 2019)
- United States: We do not collect state sales tax at this time
In Canada, tax is collected based on where an item is delivered to and not where it is shipped from. This is not our policy, this is the policy of the Government of Canada.
When you check out on our secure website, we perform a simple pre-authorization on your credit card account. Your credit card is only charged after one of the following takes place:
- Your order is ready to ship from one of our retail showrooms
- You have requested special or custom ordered products1
- Portion(s) of your order will be sent directly from the supplier2
1 - Our policy on special and custom ordered products requires full payment before we place the special or custom order with the manufacturer. This policy is in line with most other retailers who offer special and custom ordered goods.
2 - In many cases we may ship your item directly from the manufacturer. As we do not always have control over when these orders leave the supplier, we must charge your credit card up front. In any event, we typically only "drop ship" on special or custom orders, in which case our policy requires full payment anyway.
For orders placed over the phone, your credit card will be charged at the time of purchase as Visa, MC and Amex do not allow merchants to store the card security code.