The Sleep Sound Guarantee®
Mattresses, pillows, bedding and towels are intimate, personal use items. You can sleep soundly knowing that The Mattress & Sleep Company does not accept customer returns on opened or used mattresses, pillows, bedding or towels.
These items may only be returned to us under very specific circumstances. Read more about our Returns, Refunds & Deposits Policy here.
It is our belief that limited-time trial offers do not adequately address the underlying issue of selecting the right mattress for long-term satisfaction. Trial periods tend to increase panic and doubt.
All new mattresses, regardless of their construction, quality or price, experience some degree of break-in period. Additionally, there is a period of time required to acclimate to the new mattress. This is especially true if you've replaced a worn-out, sagging pillow-top style mattress with a mattress crafted from elastic, high-performance materials such as natural latex and pocket springs.
Given adequate time, the first mattress may have actually been the right one, yet the fear of making a mistake results in that mattress being returned before the 60 or 90 night trial has ended. The problem-solving solutions we have available to customers selecting a Berkeley Ergonomics, or Obasan mattress help alleviate this anxiety.
A rational alternative to a trial period
What is a Zippered Forever Bed™? It's a mattress with replaceable, modular components! Since 2008, The Mattress & Sleep Company has offered this style of mattress. Our stores in Calgary, Edmonton, and Sherwood Park each display and stock our modular mattress collection.
There are several unique benefits to a Zippered Forever Bed™:
- A Zippered Forever Bed™ reduces the risk of choosing the wrong mattress. Most people are happy with their new mattress between 30 and 90 nights. However, many are unhappy with polyurethane pillowtop and memory foam mattresses once they begin to settle in (typically in the 6-month to 2-year timeframe). While our highly elastic mattresses work well for almost everyone, occasionally we need to make an incremental change in firmness. The modular construction of a Zippered Forever Bed™ allows for these fine adjustments without resorting to returning the mattress and starting over again.
- Transparency. The ability to unzip and access the internal mattress components leaves nothing hidden or lost in translation.
- Easier to move. A Zippered Forever Bed™ may be taken apart and moved in pieces. Even a heavy king mattress is quite manageable and will fit in places that other beds may not.
- Individual components may be replaced separately (not all mattress materials wear at the same rate!)
- Many of the components found within our Zippered Forever Beds™ may be rotated and turned individually, resulting in more even wear and longer mattress life. This style of maintenance is considerably more thorough than the alternatives. One-sided mattresses may only be rotated 180° while traditional two-sided mattresses can be rotated and turned.
- Mattress warranties do not cover comfort. A Zippered Forever Bed™ may be changed at any time in the future at a lower cost than purchasing a new mattress.
When we say "forever" we really do mean it. Simply replace individual components as necessary.
As we age, our needs can change. Traditionally, these changes would necessitate a mattress replacement, even in situations where your existing mattress is in otherwise good condition. A Zippered Forever Bed™ may simply need the existing components to be rearranged, or a strategic replacement of one or two layers to further alter the comfort.
Our zippered mattresses allow access to their internal components. Renew, refresh and improve your zippered forever bed at any point in the future.
Many of the components found within our Zippered Forever Beds™ may be rotated and turned individually, resulting in more even wear and a longer life. This style of maintenance is considerably more thorough than the alternatives. One-sided mattresses may only be rotated 180° while traditional two-sided mattresses can be rotated and turned.
Our zippered forever beds use natural cotton outer tickings for exceptional breathability and are one of many healthy components found inside these mattresses.
Inside your zippered forever bed are all-natural fillings such as pure camel hair and sheep's wool. These animal fibres are non-allergenic and regulate temperature and humidity in a superior fashion to synthetic fibres.
Trial periods for online bed in a box mattresses
This is easily the most costly and environmentally irresponsible type of trial period offered. Online bed in a box companies do not resell used mattresses as these compressed and rolled mattresses cannot fit back in their original carton once they've been opened. Instead, the retailer will arrange to pick up the mattress and then dispose of the mattress.
The Cost Of Free: Casper Pays A Price For Generous Mattress Returns (npr.org | new tab)
Trial periods at mainstream mattress retailers
Canadian law is very vague about the reselling of used mattresses and bedding products. Retailers which offer a "mattress comfort trial" are reselling customer returned, used mattresses which are cleverly marketed in the following ways.
- Labelled as a "floor model"
- Labelled as a "demo model"
- Labelled as "one left over from the home show"
- Labelled as "damaged and/or dirty"
It is important to know that the vast majority of mattress manufacturers do not take back used mattresses. And of course it's not economically viable for the retailer to throw away a comfort trial mattress. This is why sleep trial returns are resold.
And that's just mattresses. Smaller items such as pillows are regularly, unsuspectingly, resold as "new" after having been used.
Would you buy a used mattress?
Probably not. Which is why on August 1, 2013 The Mattress & Sleep Company instituted a strict no-return policy on mattresses. Other intimate items such as pillows, towels and bed linens were always treated in this way.
There are too many health risks
The Mattress & Sleep Company believes there are too many health risks associated with reselling a used mattress. There are many variables to consider:
- Allergy risks such as smoking, pets, perfume and dust mites.
- Bedbugs, bacteria, bodily fluids.
- The average person perspires an equivalent of 500 mL each night.
Many of these health risks are especially significant for our customers with extreme chemical or environmental sensitivities.
Display model mattresses are clearly marked when offered for sale, and are accompanied by a significant price reduction. Because the discount is so significant, we often have waiting lists for our display model mattresses.
Textiles such as blankets, towels and bed linens are often shipped from our manufacturers in quantity packaging. What does this mean? Sometimes, these products are merchandized in our showrooms directly on a shelf. This is very similar to visiting a clothing store. Clothing is typically on the rack, ready to try on. If it's tried on and not purchased, it goes back out on the showroom floor for the next customer. The only difference in our case is that you can't "try on" towels or blankets. Once these items leave our store, they're not returnable.
Towels, blankets and other textile goods that are repackaged from our shelves are considered to be new as they have never left our store and have never been washed, worn or slept in.
Disposable pillow napkins
Competitor price matching
We match or beat competitor pricing on a case-by-case basis. Every situation is unique and by approaching a competitive pricing issue individually, we're better equipped to meet your needs and assure your satisfaction.