Adjustable Bed FAQ
With several decades of electric bed experience, we thought a list of frequently asked questions would be a helpful place to start in your research process.
Buying an adjustable bed can be a frustrating and confusing process. There are so many retailers to choose from! The Mattress & Sleep Company is committed to listening to our customers and catering our solutions to fit your needs.
We have stores in Calgary, Edmonton and Sherwood Park. Professional local delivery and setup are included with the purchase of any adjustable bed, even if you do not need the matching mattress.
What is an adjustable bed?
Put simply, an adjustable bed is a mechanical box spring. They allow the sleeper to raise and lower the angle of both the head and foot of the bed.
Which part of the bed is raising and lowering?
The electric base, which again, simply replaces a standard flat box spring. The mattress is simply bending in response to the changes in the electric base.
Do I need a special mattress?
Yes. Not all mattresses are designed to bend and fold. However, they are at least becoming more common. The Mattress & Sleep Company is proud to say that each and every mattress we offer is 100% compatible with all electric beds.
Which mattress works best on an adjustable?
The best possible mattress to place on an adjustable is, without dispute, a 100% natural latex mattress. These are the most elastic and contouring type of mattress and they bend perfectly on an electric bed.
Can I use my existing bed frame?
Generally, yes. So long as your existing bed frame is of the same size (ie: the new electric base is queen, and your bed frame is queen), and, provided your existing bed frame has a box spring/foundation, there is a 95% chance the adjustable base will easily install in your bed frame.
Which bed sizes are the most common?
There are three common electric bed sizes:
- Twin XL - 38 x 79 ½" - 96.5 x 202 cm
- Queen - 60 x 80" - 152.5 x 202 cm
- King - 76 x 80" - 193 x 202 cm
Which bed configurations are common?
Queen and king electric beds are offered in several configurations:
- One-piece. If two sleepers are sharing the bed, they share one remote, one complete 60" wide mattress and one 60" wide mechanical base. The complete bed lifts and lowers as one unit.
- Split queen. Each sleeper has their own remote, their own mattress, and their own mechanical base so that independent operation of each half is possible. Each mattress is 30" wide and is simply placed side-by-side.
- One-piece. If two sleepers are sharing the bed, they share one remote, one complete 76" wide mattress and one 76" wide mechanical base. The complete bed lifts and lowers as one unit.
- Split king. Each sleeper has their own remote, their own mattress, and their own mechanical base so that independent operation of each half is possible. Each mattress is 38" wide and is simply placed side-by-side.
How much does an adjustable bed cost?
There is a considerable price range when it comes to adjustable beds. The Mattress & Sleep Company skips entry-level options to ensure we offer what we consider to be a required level of quality and comfort. Keeping in mind that prices and offerings change on a regular basis, the prices here are general guidelines. Our current pricing is always displayed on each adjustable bed product page.
- Twin XL Adjustable Base: $1,200 to $3,000.
- Twin XL Complete w/ Mattress: $1,700 to $6,000 with $2,500 to $4,000 being typical.
- Queen Adjustable Base: $1,400 to $3,500.
- Queen Complete w/ Mattress: $2,000 to $8,000 with $4,000 to $6,000 being typical.
- Split King Adjustable Bases: $2,400 to $6,000.
- Split King w/ Mattresses: $3,400 to $12,000 with $6,000 to $12,000 being typical.
How are adjustable beds priced on your website?
Adjustable bed product pages display a price for the electric adjustable base only. Our selection of 100% compatible electric bed mattresses is viewable here.