Adjustable Bed FAQ
With several decades of electric bed experience, we thought a list of frequently asked questions would be a helpful place to start in your research process.
Buying an adjustable bed can be a frustrating and confusing process. There are so many retailers to choose from! The Mattress & Sleep Company is committed to listening to our customers and catering our solutions to fit your needs.
We have stores in Calgary, Edmonton, and Sherwood Park. Professional local delivery and setup are included with the purchase of any adjustable bed, even if you do not need the matching mattress.
What is an adjustable bed?
Put simply, an adjustable bed is a mechanical box spring. This motorized base allows the sleeper to raise and lower the angle of both the head and foot of the bed.
Which part of the bed is raising and lowering?
The electric base replaces a standard flat box spring. The mattress is simply bending in response to the movement/changing position of the motorized base.
Do I need a special mattress?
Yes. Not all mattresses are designed to bend and fold. However, they are at least becoming more common. The Mattress & Sleep Company offers deep selection in highly flexible adjustable base friendly mattresses.
Which mattress works best on an adjustable?
The best possible mattress to place on an adjustable is, without dispute, a 100% natural Talalay latex mattress. These are the most elastic and contouring type of mattress and they bend perfectly on an electric bed.
What about mattress depth?
Great question, and often overlooked! We recommend mattresses less than 12" thick. The simple reason is that the thicker the mattress is, even if sufficiently flexible, will not as precisely follow the contours of the adjustable base. Our most popular options for adjustable bases are in the 8~11" depth range.
Can I use my existing bed frame?
Generally, yes. So long as your existing bed frame is of the same size (ie: the new electric base is queen, and your bed frame is queen), and, provided your existing bed frame has a box spring/foundation, there is a 95% chance the adjustable base is compatible with your existing bed frame. In circumstances where it is not compatible, there are typically solutions to make installation possible.
Is it possible to change the height of my adjustable bed?
Yes! Most of our adjustable bases include multiple leg height options to raise or lower the overall height of your bed. We also offer height-adjustable legs from Leggett & Platt that are compatible with most adjustable beds.
Which bed sizes are the most common?
There are three common electric bed sizes:
- Twin XL - 38 x 79 ½" - 96.5 x 202 cm
- Queen - 60 x 80" - 152.5 x 202 cm
- King - 76 x 80" - 193 x 202 cm
Which bed configurations are common?
Queen and king electric beds are offered in several configurations:
- One-piece. If two sleepers are sharing the bed, they share one remote, one complete 60" wide mattress and one 60" wide mechanical base. The complete bed lifts and lowers as one unit.
- Split queen. Each sleeper has their own remote, their own mattress, and their own mechanical base so that independent operation of each half is possible. Each mattress is 30" wide and is simply placed side-by-side.
- One-piece. If two sleepers are sharing the bed, they share one remote, one complete 76" wide mattress and one 76" wide mechanical base. The complete bed lifts and lowers as one unit.
- Split king. Each sleeper has their own remote, their own mattress, and their own mechanical base so that independent operation of each half is possible. Each mattress is 38" wide and is simply placed side-by-side.
How much does an adjustable bed cost?
There is a considerable price range when it comes to adjustable beds. The Mattress & Sleep Company skips entry-level options to ensure we offer what we consider to be an appropriate level of quality and comfort that aligns with our philosophy of high-performance sleep.
Keeping in mind that prices and offerings are subject to change (last updated June 2023), the prices here are general guidelines. Our current pricing is always displayed on each adjustable bed product page.
- Twin XL Adjustable Base: $700 to $3,100.
- Twin XL Complete w/ Mattress: Starting at $1,598.
- Queen Adjustable Base: $950 to $3,400.
- Queen Complete w/ Mattress: Starting at $1,848.
- One-Piece King Adjustable Bases: $1,099 to $4,500.
- One-Piece King w/ Mattress: Starting at $2,198.
- Split King Adjustable Bases: $1,598 to $6,200.
- Split King w/ Mattresses: Starting at $3,196.
How are adjustable beds priced on your website?
Adjustable bed product pages display a price for the electric adjustable base only. Our selection of 100% compatible electric bed mattresses is viewable here.