All-natural mattresses are one of our specialties and are a true luxury. Natural materials are breathable. They regulate temperature and humidity, contributing to a balanced sleep environment that is not-too-hot, not-too-cold, and free of bothersome allergens.
- Every natural mattress we offer is individually handmade, with inventory on hand in popular models and sizes at our stores in Calgary, Edmonton, and Sherwood Park.
- 100% natural sheep's wool beneath the outer ticking. Wool is the only readily available all-natural material that meets the stringent 16 CFR 1633 fire retardant standard, without resorting to chemicals.
- 100% natural rubber tree latex with various choices in Dunlop rubber (Obasan) and Talalay latex (Berkeley Ergonomics).
- Foam-free choices from Harrison Spinks w/ as many as 30,500 pocket coils.
Obasan and Harrison Spinks mattresses are 100% natural. Berkeley Ergonomics does use a non-toxic synthetic polypropylene fabric wrap on their pocketed springs. This material is Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Class 1 certified, meaning there are no harmful substances and the fabric is classified as safe for babies.
Natural Mattresses vs. Organic Mattresses
It is important to note that the terms "natural" and "organic" mean different things. These differences are mostly down to marketing tactics. Organic certificates are not safety certificates. We believe it is most appropriate to view organic certificates within the scope of marketing and not health or safety.
If organic certification is important to you, please view our organic mattress collection. Obasan mattresses are Made in Canada and all of their materials are certified organic.
The Mattress & Sleep Company recommends reading our guide on the truth about chemicals in mattresses. This in-depth article discusses a handful of critically important topics and helps to separate fear-mongering and marketing from genuine facts.
Why Choose a Natural Mattress?
We believe a natural mattress offers considerable advantages over a synthetic mattress in several key areas:
- Natural materials are more breathable
- Natural materials are better at regulating temperature
- Natural materials are superior at absorbing excess moisture (polyester only absorbs about 1% of its weight in moisture while sheep's wool absorbs 30-40%)