The Berlin natural mattress from Berkeley Ergonomics is truly unique. Featuring a honeycomb-nested interactive European pocketed coil, this design has a long history of comfort and durability.
From head to toe, the Berlin spring system alternates between a taller, larger-diameter spring and a shorter, smaller-diameter spring. The alternating rows of taller and shorter pocket coils adjust well to all body types and distribute pressure in a superior fashion to the typical method of pocket coil zoning.
The bi-level spring system in this mattress is also incredibly well suited for use on electric adjustable bases.
Atop this wonderful spring system is a layer of pure 100% natural Vita Talalay latex for breathable, long-lasting comfort.
Finishing off the mattress is 100% organic cotton ticking and 100% Plein-Air French sheep's wool, providing optimal temperature and humidity regulation. All materials are certified to be free of harmful chemicals by the Oeko-Tex® Standard 100, ensuring a clean and healthy sleep environment.
Our Berlin mattress is very easily one of the very best value-for-money mattresses available anywhere in Canada under $3,000 in queen size. When compared to mainstream mass-production mattresses, it's easy to see how much thought was given to the design of this mattress. It might not be a super thick pillow top, yet because of the highly elastic nature of this design, it is every bit as cradling and comfortable without resorting to using lower-performance polyurethane foam.
Finish off your Berkeley Ergonomics mattress with a Formesse Bella Donna fitted sheet. Made in Germany, these special fitted sheets are stretch-knit and super breathable. They work in perfect harmony with the high-performance elastic materials found in all BE mattresses.
- Layers from top to bottom:
- 100% Organic Cotton zippered and removable outer fabric cover
- Knitted fabric stretches to reduce surface tension and pressure pointing
- Allows access to the internal components, which may be rotated, turned, and individually replaced
- 100% French wool quilted to the inside of the outer fabric
- Plein-Air - These sheep live outdoors year-round
- Produces a curly, more resilient fibre than machine-crimped wool
- Optimal temperature and humidity management for all sleepers
- 2" 100% Natural Vita Talalay latex
- Manufactured by Radium Foam BV in The Netherlands
- Zero synthetic latex (styrene-butadiene) content
- European honeycomb nested pocket coils - steel, wrapped in polypropylene; a durable, breathable, non-toxic Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified textile
- Alternating rows of taller and shorter springs greatly aide in body contouring
- Taller springs are 6 ¼"
- Shorter springs are 5"
- Choice of three firmness options:
- The plush model features 2.0 and 1.4 mm springs w/ soft latex on top
- The firm model features 2.1 and 1.4 mm springs w/ soft latex on top
- The extra firm model features 2.1 and 1.4 mm springs w/ firm latex on top
- Coil Counts:
- 1,127 Queen Size
- 1,530 King Size
- Zero synthetic flame retardants
- A vegan version is available upon request (replaces wool with linen)
- Custom sizes are available upon request
- Electric adjustable bed compatible
- Part of our Zippered Forever Bed™ collection
- 8 ½" | 22 cm total depth
- 10-year, non-prorated warranty
- Made in California, USA
Firmness & Elasticity At a Glance
(All Berlin Firmness Choices)
We believe in the Elastic Bed Principle. The best-performing mattresses are those rated 10 out of 10, extremely elastic.
The Berlin Hybrid Mattress is a Zippered Forever Bed™
A rational alternative to a trial period
What is a Zippered Forever Bed™? It's a mattress with replaceable, modular components! Since 2008, The Mattress & Sleep Company has offered this style of mattress. Our stores in Calgary, Edmonton, and Sherwood Park each display and stock our modular mattress collection.
There are several unique benefits to a Zippered Forever Bed™:
- A Zippered Forever Bed™ reduces the risk of choosing the wrong mattress. Most people are happy with their new mattress between 30 and 90 nights. However, many are unhappy with polyurethane pillowtop and memory foam mattresses once they begin to settle in (typically in the 6-month to 2-year timeframe). While our highly elastic mattresses work well for almost everyone, occasionally we need to make an incremental change in firmness. The modular construction of a Zippered Forever Bed™ allows for these fine adjustments without resorting to returning the mattress and starting over again.
- Individual components may be replaced separately (not all mattress materials wear at the same rate!)
- Easier to move. A Zippered Forever Bed™ may be taken apart and moved in pieces. Even a heavy king mattress is quite manageable and will fit in places that other beds may not.
- Many of the components found within our Zippered Forever Beds™ may be rotated and turned individually, resulting in more even wear and a longer life. This style of maintenance is considerably more thorough than the alternatives. One-sided mattresses may only be rotated 180° while traditional two-sided mattresses can be rotated and turned.
- Hygiene - even if a mattress is made from the highest-quality materials, hygiene becomes a factor with older mattresses. Replacing the zippered outer cover with a new cover could solve such concerns without resorting to purchasing an entirely new mattress.
- Mattress warranties do not cover comfort. A Zippered Forever Bed™ may be changed at any time in the future at a lower cost than purchasing a new mattress.
When we say "forever" we really do mean it. Simply replace individual components as necessary. A Zippered Forever Bed™ features materials such as pocket springs, 100% natural latex, and cotton covers, all of which are available separately.
Berkeley Ergonomics Certificates
- Radium Vita Talalay latex (the type of latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and pillows) is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified
- C2C certification is a review of the following areas:
- Material Health (Knowing the chemical ingredients of every material in a product, and optimizing towards safer materials - identify material as organic or synthetic)
- Material Re-utilization (Designing products made with materials that come from and can safely return to nature or industry)
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management (Envisioning a future in which all manufacturing is powered by 100% clean renewable energy)
- Water Stewardship (Manage clean water as a precious resource and an essential human right)
- Social Fairness (Design operations to honour all people and natural systems affected by the creation, use, disposal or reuse of a product)
- More Information
- C2C Certificate Link
- Latex (ECO Institut)
- Latex (Rainforest Alliance)
- Green energy (wind)
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Medizinisch Getestet certificate - The fabric for Berkeley mattresses and mattress protectors is made from Organic Cotton Stretch and is certified by Medizinisch Getestet Schadstoffgepruft. Medically tested for toxins.
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Naturtextil Certification - The raw organic cotton used for the cotton knit in Berkeley mattress covers and protectors is long staple and Mattes and Ammann are Berkeley's exclusive supplier. "Naturtextil BEST" certification means it is a holistic standard. It values environmental and social criteria along the entire textile production chain.
- Wool (GOTS)
- All textile components are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified
- Cotton knit: 93.0.3463
- French Wool: 95.0.2251
- Backing materials: 94.0.7467
- Vita Talalay latex: 30007 - Class I, safe for babies (most competing Talalay is Class II or IV)
- Polypropylene spring fabric(s): 64930, 10.0.77270 & 10.0.81778
- Belgian visco (Eucavisco® is used in our London & Monaco mattress models only): 0110048
- Wood (boxsprings/slat systems) - All wood is sourced from FSC certified sources in Canada and Germany
Dimensions for our most popular boxspring types. Visit us in-store for custom sizes and additional selection.
Simply add the mattress height to any of the heights listed below for a total bed height. If you're placing one of these foundations on an existing bed frame, be sure to include the height from the floor to the support structure of your existing bed to determine the total bed height.
|Foundation Heights (Imperial)||Foundation Heights (Metric)||Leg Height||Total Height w/ Legs|
|Berkeley Standard Slat Foundation||2 ½"
|Not available||Not available|
|Berkeley Suspension Slat Foundation (our best-selling boxspring)||2 ⅜"
|Not available||Not available|
|Harrison Spinks Premium Foundation||8"||20 cm||4" | 10 cm||12" | 30 cm|
|6"||10" | 25 cm
14" | 35.5 cm
|Beaudoin Breeze Platform Bed||13"
w/ legs installed
w/ legs installed
|14 ⅝" (height to top of upholstered side rails)|
|Ergomotion 330 Adjustable Bed||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
|Ergomotion 390 Adjustable Bed (our best-selling electric base)||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
Platform Bed & Boxspring Guide (opens in new tab)
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
Varieties Which Are Typically In-Stock
The Berlin Hybrid Mattress is typically stocked in Twin XL, Queen and King in Plush, Firm and Extra-Firm. Please see the lead times below for situations when the Berlin Hybrid Mattress is sold out or for all other sizes.
Lead Times for Out-of-Stock & Special Orders
Berkeley Ergonomics products which are sold out or not regularly stocked typically arrive to our Alberta warehouses within 3-4 weeks of your order placement. Please Send Us a Message should your needs be time sensitive.
Delivery Costs & Available Services
In-home delivery and setup of your new Berkeley Ergonomics mattress is included at no extra cost in the Calgary and Edmonton areas. In addition, our professional delivery teams are able to travel to most locations in Alberta for a reasonable cost.
Removal of your existing mattress, bed frame and furniture is also available upon request.
Located elsewhere in Canada? Shipping is free of charge on Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses sent via truck freight. Deliveries to remote locations may incur an additional cost.
Courier-eligible bedding and pillow orders qualify for free shipping to most locations across Canada on orders of $100 or more.
General Availability Advice
The Mattress & Sleep Company is a family owned and operated Canadian retailer. We specialize in high-quality bedding, bath and mattresses from Canada, Europe and the USA. Our vast selection makes it impossible to stock everything. For this reason, our website does not offer real-time inventory availability as many of our products are made to order.
Please read the availability details above as we do make an effort to draw attention to products which are typically in stock in our Calgary, Edmonton and Sherwood Park stores and warehouses.