When we originally shared our idea for this mattress with our partners at Berkeley Ergonomics, we had an overall philosophy and solution in mind: how do we create a mattress that incorporates all of what we believe to be all of the non-negotiable ingredients to craft a breathable, temperature-neutral, durable, healthy and ergonomic mattress? And then, once we've done that, is it possible to sell it for an ultra-competitive price?
Spoiler alert: Berkeley Ergonomics greatly exceeded our expectations, although, given their stellar track record, we really shouldn't be surprised.
While the Independence mattress is made by Berkeley Ergonomics, it is important to point out that there are several unique components only found within this mattress, and the material choices were deliberately made to achieve a mattress aligned with our stated objectives above.
This mattress features 2" of blended Talalay latex, made in the USA by Talalay Global. While it would be unfair to compare this material to 100% natural Vita Talalay latex found in all other Berkeley Ergonomic mattresses, it is vastly superior to essentially all other foam types available today.
The pocket spring system is made in the USA by German company Agro Springs' American division, whereas the rest of the Berkeley Ergonomics mattress collection is made with pocket springs from Europe.
Finally, the 100% organic knit cotton outer covering is slightly different. It is still lined with the same pure French wool, however, this cover is fixed in place similar to standard mattresses. All other Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses feature a zippered, removable outer cover to flip, rotate or replace individual latex layers or spring components.
These material changes result in a mattress that is still exceptionally breathable, temperature-neutral, durable, healthy and ergonomic. Best of all, it offers all of these wonderful benefits at an ultra-competitive price. There simply isn't an alternative in the Canadian market that is comparable.
Finish off your Berkeley Ergonomics mattress with a Formesse Bella Donna fitted sheet. Made in Germany, these special fitted sheets are stretch-knit and super breathable. They work in perfect harmony with the high-performance elastic materials found in all BE mattresses.
- Layers from top to bottom:
- 100% Organic Cotton outer fabric
- Knitted fabric stretches to reduce surface tension and pressure pointing
100% French wool quilted to the inside of the outer fabric
- Plein-Air - These sheep live outdoors year-round
- Produces a curly, more resilient fibre than machine-crimped wool
- Optimal temperature and humidity management for all sleepers
- 2" blended Talalay latex
- Manufactured by Talalay Global in the USA
- 70% synthetic latex (styrene-butadiene)
- 30% natural rubber tree latex
- 7" parallel pocket coils - steel
- Manufactured in the USA
- Wrapped in polypropylene; a durable, breathable, non-toxic Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified textile
- Thicker gauge steel springs around the perimeter for a firmer edge feel
- Coil Counts:
- 760 Queen Size
- 1,055 King Size
- Zero synthetic flame retardants
- A vegan version is available upon request (replaces wool with linen)
- Electric adjustable bed compatible
- 9 ½" | 24 cm total depth
- 10-year, non-prorated warranty
- Made in California, USA
Firmness & Elasticity At a Glance
We believe in the Elastic Bed Principle. The best-performing mattresses are those rated 10 out of 10, extremely elastic.
Berkeley Ergonomics Certificates
- Radium Vita Talalay latex (the type of latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and pillows) is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified
- C2C certification is a review of the following areas:
- Material Health (Knowing the chemical ingredients of every material in a product, and optimizing towards safer materials - identify material as organic or synthetic)
- Material Re-utilization (Designing products made with materials that come from and can safely return to nature or industry)
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management (Envisioning a future in which all manufacturing is powered by 100% clean renewable energy)
- Water Stewardship (Manage clean water as a precious resource and an essential human right)
- Social Fairness (Design operations to honour all people and natural systems affected by the creation, use, disposal or reuse of a product)
- More Information
- C2C Certificate Link
- Latex (ECO Institut)
- Latex (Rainforest Alliance)
- Green energy (wind)
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Medizinisch Getestet certificate - The fabric for Berkeley mattresses and mattress protectors is made from Organic Cotton Stretch and is certified by Medizinisch Getestet Schadstoffgepruft. Medically tested for toxins.
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Naturtextil Certification - The raw organic cotton used for the cotton knit in Berkeley mattress covers and protectors is long staple and Mattes and Ammann are Berkeley's exclusive supplier. "Naturtextil BEST" certification means it is a holistic standard. It values environmental and social criteria along the entire textile production chain.
- Wool (GOTS)
- All textile components are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified
- Cotton knit: 93.0.3463
- French Wool: 95.0.2251
- Backing materials: 94.0.7467
- Vita Talalay latex: 30007 - Class I, safe for babies (most competing Talalay is Class II or IV)
- Polypropylene spring fabric(s): 64930, 10.0.77270 & 10.0.81778
- Wood (boxsprings/slat systems) - All wood is sourced from FSC certified sources in Canada and Germany
Dimensions for our most popular boxspring types. Visit us in-store for custom sizes and additional selection.
Simply add the mattress height to any of the heights listed below for a total bed height. If you're placing one of these foundations on an existing bed frame, be sure to include the height from the floor to the support structure of your existing bed to determine the total bed height.
|Foundation Heights (Imperial)||Foundation Heights (Metric)||Leg Height||Total Height w/ Legs|
|Berkeley Standard Slat Foundation||2 ½"
|Not available||Not available|
|Berkeley Suspension Slat Foundation (our best-selling boxspring)||2 ⅜"
|Not available||Not available|
|Harrison Spinks Premium Foundation||8"||20 cm||4" | 10 cm||12" | 30 cm|
|3"||7" | 18 cm
10" | 25 cm
|Beaudoin Breeze Platform Bed||13"
w/ legs installed
w/ legs installed
|14 ⅝" (height to top of upholstered side rails)|
|Ergomotion 330 Adjustable Bed||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
|Ergomotion 390 Adjustable Bed (our best-selling electric base)||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
Platform Bed & Boxspring Guide (opens in new tab)
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
Varieties Which Are Typically In-Stock
The Independence Hybrid Mattress is typically stocked in Twin, Twin XL, Double, Queen, King and Split King. Please see the lead times below for situations when the Independence Hybrid Mattress is sold out or for all other sizes.
Lead Times for Out-of-Stock & Special Orders
Berkeley Ergonomics products which are sold out or not regularly stocked typically arrive to our Alberta warehouses within 3-4 weeks of your order placement. Please Send Us a Message should your needs be time sensitive.
Delivery Costs & Available Services
In-home delivery and setup of your new Berkeley Ergonomics mattress is included at no extra cost in the Calgary and Edmonton areas. In addition, our professional delivery teams are able to travel to most locations in Alberta for a reasonable cost.
Removal of your existing mattress, bed frame and furniture is also available upon request.
Located elsewhere in Canada? Shipping is free of charge on Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses sent via truck freight. Deliveries to remote locations may incur an additional cost.
Courier-eligible bedding and pillow orders qualify for free shipping to most locations across Canada on orders of $100 or more.
General Availability Advice
The Mattress & Sleep Company is a family owned and operated business based in Alberta, Canada. We specialize in high-quality bedding, bath and mattresses from Canada, Europe and the USA. Our vast selection makes it impossible to stock everything. For this reason, our website does not offer real-time inventory availability as many of our products are made to order.
Please read the availability details above as we do make an effort to draw attention to products which are typically in stock in our Calgary, Edmonton and Sherwood Park stores and warehouses.