The Berkeley Ergonomics standard slat base is the perfect economical solution when the budget doesn't allow for the investment in a suspension foundation. Made from Canadian timber and wrapped in organic cotton and Plein-Air French wool, this foundation meets the stringent California 16 CFR 1633 flame retardancy requirement without any chemical treatments. Slatted wood ensures proper air circulation, which is especially important for foam mattresses.
In addition to budgetary requirements, this foundation is also our recommended base option beneath hybrid, memory foam and polyurethane foam mattresses or bed-in-a-box mattresses. The construction of our slat foundation is truly superior to the standard boxsprings found under mass-produced brand mattresses.
Also available in an extra-low profile version for platform-style beds. Included with the purchase of all TEAM 7 European Platform Beds.
Availability: In-Store Only (On Display in Calgary, Edmonton & Sherwood Park) - Not Available for Purchase Online
- 100% organic cotton outer fabric
- 100% Plein-Air French wool quilted to the inside of the outer fabric
- Plein-Air - These sheep live outdoors year-round
- Produces a more curly, longer fibre
- Superior to mechanically crimped wool, does not matte down as easily
- Canadian spruce slatted frame
- Properly spaced slats for adequate air circulation and ventilation
- Extremely sturdy, far exceeds the quality of mass-produced foundations
- Wrapped in certified organic cotton and certified organic French wool
- Available in four heights
- 2 ½" - As a replacement in platform-style beds where there are no provided slats or the existing slats are of inferior quality
- 4" - Low profile
- 7" - Standard profile
- 8 ½" - Extra high profile. This height incurs a surcharge
- Meets all flame-retardant requirements without any synthetic treatments
- Free of harmful chemicals - no flame retardant, formaldehyde or PBDE's
- Made in California, USA
Berkeley Ergonomics Certificates
- Radium Vita Talalay latex (the type of latex found in all Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and pillows) is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified
- C2C certification is a review of the following areas:
- Material Health (Knowing the chemical ingredients of every material in a product, and optimizing towards safer materials - identify material as organic or synthetic)
- Material Re-utilization (Designing products made with materials that come from and can safely return to nature or industry)
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management (Envisioning a future in which all manufacturing is powered by 100% clean renewable energy)
- Water Stewardship (Manage clean water as a precious resource and an essential human right)
- Social Fairness (Design operations to honour all people and natural systems affected by the creation, use, disposal or reuse of a product)
- More Information
- C2C Certificate Link
- Latex (ECO Institut)
- Latex (Rainforest Alliance)
- Green energy (wind)
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Medizinisch Getestet certificate - The fabric for Berkeley mattresses and mattress protectors is made from Organic Cotton Stretch and is certified by Medizinisch Getestet Schadstoffgepruft. Medically tested for toxins.
- Organic Cotton Stretch Knit - Naturtextil Certification - The raw organic cotton used for the cotton knit in Berkeley mattress covers and protectors is long staple and Mattes and Ammann are Berkeley's exclusive supplier. "Naturtextil BEST" certification means it is a holistic standard. It values environmental and social criteria along the entire textile production chain.
- Wool (GOTS)
- All textile components are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified
- Cotton knit: 93.0.3463
- French Wool: 95.0.2251
- Backing materials: 94.0.7467
- Vita Talalay latex: 30007 - Class I, safe for babies (most competing Talalay is Class II or IV)
- Polypropylene spring fabric(s): 64930, 10.0.77270 & 10.0.81778
- Belgian visco (Eucavisco® is used in our London & Monaco mattress models only): 0110048
- CertiPUR-US (Eucavisco® is used in our London & Monaco mattress models only)
- Wood (boxsprings/slat systems) - All wood is sourced from FSC certified sources in Canada and Germany
Dimensions for our most popular boxspring types. Visit us in-store for custom sizes and additional selection.
Simply add the mattress height to any of the heights listed below for a total bed height. If you're placing one of these foundations on an existing bed frame, be sure to include the height from the floor to the support structure of your existing bed to determine the total bed height.
|Foundation Heights (Imperial)||Foundation Heights (Metric)||Leg Height||Total Height w/ Legs|
|Berkeley Standard Slat Foundation||2 ½"
|Not available||Not available|
|Berkeley Suspension Slat Foundation (our best-selling boxspring)||2 ⅜"
|Not available||Not available|
|Harrison Spinks Premium Foundation||8"||20 cm||4" | 10 cm||12" | 30 cm|
|6"||10" | 25 cm
14" | 35.5 cm
|Beaudoin Breeze Platform Bed||13"
w/ legs installed
w/ legs installed
|14 ⅝" (height to top of upholstered side rails)|
|Ergomotion 330 Adjustable Bed||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
|Ergomotion 390 Adjustable Bed (our best-selling electric base)||8"||20 cm||3"
|Varies from 11 to 16"|
Platform Bed & Boxspring Guide (opens in new tab)
Estimated Delivery, Shipping Costs & Availability
Varieties Which Are Typically In-Stock
The Standard Slat Foundation is typically stocked in Split Queen & Split King 2 ½" and Twin, Twin XL, Double, Queen and Split King 7". Please see the lead times below for situations when the Standard Slat Foundation is sold out or for all other sizes.
Lead Times for Out-of-Stock & Special Orders
Berkeley Ergonomics products which are sold out or not regularly stocked typically arrive to our Alberta warehouses within 3-4 weeks of your order placement. Please Send Us a Message should your needs be time sensitive.
Delivery Costs & Available Services
In-home delivery and setup of your new Berkeley Ergonomics mattress is included at no extra cost in the Calgary and Edmonton areas. In addition, our professional delivery teams are able to travel to most locations in Alberta for a reasonable cost.
Removal of your existing mattress, bed frame and furniture is also available upon request.
Located elsewhere in Canada? Shipping is free of charge on Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses sent via truck freight. Deliveries to remote locations may incur an additional cost.
Courier-eligible bedding and pillow orders qualify for free shipping to most locations across Canada on orders of $100 or more.
General Availability Advice
The Mattress & Sleep Company is a family owned and operated Canadian retailer. We specialize in high-quality bedding, bath and mattresses from Canada, Europe and the USA. Our vast selection makes it impossible to stock everything. For this reason, our website does not offer real-time inventory availability as many of our products are made to order.
Please read the availability details above as we do make an effort to draw attention to products which are typically in stock in our Calgary, Edmonton and Sherwood Park stores and warehouses.